Monday, 18 April 2011
The Queen's Meme #79 - The Give And Take Meme
Mimi of The Queen's Meme has sent this in....
Welcome to the Queen's Meme
7 Royal Questions on Tuesday
#79 The Give and Take Meme
We've all been givers. We've all been takers. Is it better to give than to receive? Hmmm.....always a question up for debate. Depends on the circumstance I suppose. Who wrote that line anyway? Quite possibly the person who didn't get what he gave. Or maybe a selfless soul full of true righteousness. Maya Angelou wrote that "giving liberates the soul of the giver." I would tend to agree. Another favorite quote of mine on the subject is by Khalil Gibran: "Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need."
What are our motivations for giving? And what, pray ye, will ye take? That is my question.
Why am I suddenly speaking Quakerish?
I'd better get on with this meme.
1. IS it better to give than to receive? It depends who or what is being given. If someone is being given the sack (that is being fired), it is not something we are keen on receiving.
2. Can you name a special or unique gift you've received? What made it special to you? Some gifts I get are completely useless, which gives me the idea that they never really thought at all. By far the best gifts are those that are perfectly suited for me, as I know the givers have thought first.
3. What does it mean to "give of yourself?" That means to give something only you have. I'm not too keen if it's a blood sample I'm giving!
4. Tell us something you once took that you wish you could give back. I can take the time to say the wrong thing. I'd like to give back that time.
5. Have you ever been robbed of something that changed the course of your life? That can be material goods or people themselves. Anything like that is going to alter destiny.
6. If you could give one thing to the people that you love most and give it in abundance, what would it be? I try and give as much friendship and consideration as possible, and hope it reciprocates.
7. When is the last time you GAVE yourself a good talking to? I can't remember, I had my fingers in my ears.