Tuesday 18 January 2011

The Queen's Meme #68 - The Basic Theory Meme 101




Mimi of The Queen's Meme has sent this in....

Welcome to The Queen's Meme #68.
It's called the Basic Music Theory Meme 101
It's simple! Answer the questions and/or identify the following very basic music symbols and tell us what you think they mean. You can answer correctly (don't peek in the dictionary!) or you can spoof 'em. I'm talking to you, Coopernicus. Can you snark something this academic?



1. What is the symbol above called?  Now let's get one thing settled. I know NOTHING about musical notation. It looks like a railway track to me.

2. Imagine you are playing saxophone and suddenly see the symbol above in your music score. What do you do?  Who knows? Play ten times louder?


3. And this ornate object is???  13? B? I'll pass on this.

4. Are these two rests equal or unequal in value? I've got a 50-50 chance of getting this right, so I'll say equal...or maybe unequal.

5. Name at least 2 things missing from the Treble and Bass clef show below that would be seen in an actual piece of music. Are you serious? I would hasve a better chance of learning Mandarin Chinese.


6. Why is the treble clef above always getting in trouble? What is wrong with it? It's a bad influence on the other notes. The music teachewr always gets it to sit on the naughty stool.

7. What is the name of this note? Jeff? Arthur, Melanie? How should I know?


8. What is the key signature in the piece of music below?  I don't think it's a modern rock song!

9. What is the last note on a piano keyboard? The one at the end.

1 comment:

Mimi Lenox said...

"The one at the end" cracked me up.
And railroad tracks. LOL!!
Not laughing AT you Jean-Luc. You made this quite funny.
Thanks for playing.
You are NOT in the dungeon, unlike a few others who weren't brave enough to try this meme. Bah!