Tuesday, 11 January 2011
The Queen's Meme #67 - The Strange January Meme
Mimi of The Queen's Meme has sent this in....
Welcome to the Queen's Meme #67.
It's called The Strange January Meme
There are some strange traditions associated with this month, many of those noted here are British customs, however, strange customs hail from every corner of the globe. Help me decipher the January mysteries of the Universe below. And I sincerely hope you remembered to bake a cake for the cow.
1. January usually has ample amounts of snowfall in parts of the world. Did you ever make snow cream as a kid? All I ever did with snow when I was young was fall over in it.
2. January is the first month of the year in the Gregorian calendar. The name comes from the Latin word ianua meaning door and is named after the god of the doorway, Janus.
Is there a particular door you'd like to step through this year? What? I'd like to step throuigh a door that was open. Going through a closed one can be extremely hazardous.
3. January is one of the months with 31 days. What are you going to do with that extra day? Spend it all thinking of answers for Mimi's memes.
4. In medieval times superstition dictated that the 1st day of January was significant for prosperity, or lack of it, in a person's life. Farmers put a flat cake on the horns of a cow and they danced and sang songs around the cow until the cake was thrown to the ground. If it fell in front of the cow that meant good luck; it if fell behind the cow that meant bad luck for the rest of the year.
Do you have strange New Year customs in your household? Well we don't have a cow to dance around. The strange New Year custom I have is to get up without a hangover as I don't drink.
5. Did you know that it's unlucky to see the first new moon of the year through a window? You should, instead, look through a new silk handkerchief! Did you remember to do this? If I said this at the asylum, I'd be in the rubber room.
6. On January 14, 1986 motorists were required for the first time to wear seat belts?
Do you always buckle up? Why or why not? January 14th is my birthday! Anyway I NEVER wear seatbelts. It is illegal here in Britain not to. Don't tell anyone, please.
7. If you are single and want to find a mate, legend has it that on January 20th you should walk backwards up the stairs to bed. If you don't have a staircase you should recite The Lord's Prayer while transferring pins from a pin cushion to your sleeve. If anyone does this, it's no surprise they can't find a mate!
I couldn't find a male ritual to attract women.
Make one up. Here's a ritual......buy them a drink, then a car, then a diamond bracelet on the way to the poor house.